Today I am going to teach you how to build a bench. This is the bench that is in my guest room reveal post. It was really easy to make and looks great in the room.
Building a bench is super easy and so much more economical than buying one. The benches I looked at cost anywhere from $150-$200 and I was able to build mine for $70!
*This post contains affiliate links. For more details see my full disclosure.
How to Build a Bench
Let’s go through everything you need to build this bench.
- 4 bench legs
- 1 1×4 in an 8 foot length
- fabric of your choice
- paint ( I used a spray paint that had a primer in it.)
- Spray adhesive
- Miter Saw – I recently got this sliding miter saw and I am in LOVE!
- drill – This is the perfect drill, no need to charge batteries ever!
- kreg jig (This is the one I have and I love it!)
- staple gun (I bought these 3 in one nail guns and stapler with a compressor and use it alllllll the time!)
Step 1-Building the Base
Determine the dimensions of your bench and when you purchase your plywood have the hardware store cut the plywood to your dimensions.
Measure the distance between each leg and cut the 1×4 at those lengths.
Now it’s time to prime and paint the base the color of your choice.
Step 2-Add the softer touches
For foam, you can purchase upholstery foam from JoAnn, Amazon, or another store but it’s going to be pricey.
I decided to purchase a memory foam mattress topper (not one with gel in it) and I was able to do this bench and recover one in my entryway for half the price of upholstery foam for one bench.
Cut the foam to the correct dimensions and use spray adhesive to stick it to the plywood.
Cut the batting to cover the top and fold under the plywood.
Then cut the fabric to cover the top and fold under the plywood.
Flip the whole thing over and make sure the fabric is straight and smooth on the bottom. Using a staple gun, staple both the fabric and the batting to the underside of the plywood.
At the corners, I treated them like I was wrapping a Christmas present. I got it as smooth as possible and stapled it down in several places.
Trim off any excess fabric or batting with scissors.
Flip your bench over and enjoy!
- Spray adhesive
- One 1x4x8 piece of wood
- 4 bench legs
- Paint and primer
- Staple gun
- Miter saw
- Kreg Jig
- Cut the plywood to your desired dimensions for the bench.
- Attach the legs to the plywood at the four corners.
- Measure the distance between the legs and cut the wood to those dimensions.
- Using the Kreg Jig attach the wood to the legs and the plywood.
- Cut a few more pieces to go in between the long pieces for more support.
- Prime and paint the base.
- Cut the foam to the same dimensions of the plywood and using the spray adhesive attach to the plywood.
- Cut the batting and fabric to cover the whole top and enough to go under the plywood.
- Flip the bench over and staple the fabric and batting to the underside of the plywood.
Here is the final product.
Related Furniture Posts:
I hope you picked up a few things on how to build a bench. It was super easy and totally doable for anyone. The cost savings is the best part!