Well here we are in Week 3 of the $100 Room Challenge. I can’t believe how much difference this week made to the Laundry Room. For full details on the $100 Room Challenge you can go here. Basically Erin over at Lemons, Lavender and Laundry put together this challenge and you redo a room in your house, in one month and with only $100!
I participated in this challenge last September where I created a coffee bar in my breakfast nook. If you missed the overall plan for the laundry room you can check it out here. Last week I got the room painted and bought the wood and the lovely guy at Home Depot cut it for me! Here is a look at where we left off.
This Week’s Progress:
First things first I had to do this week was sand all the edges where they cut the wood. It’s super raggedy and you will get a splinter plus if you don’t sand it the wood will look shaggy in the gaps between boards. I think a nice clean look will be better.
Next I had to put together my new miter saw, you won’t have to do this but I mention it because it took me soooo long! I sanded all 24 boards, and put the saw together and all that took me like 2 1/2 hours! UGH!
I started under my cabinets and made my way down to the floor. It was not easy cutting around the outlets and water hookups. Initially I envisioned having one long board and just cutting out for those things. But I don’t have a jigsaw and that is the tool you need to accomplish that. So I cut the boards around and just had to putty to make them look like I have one long board. I used a variety of ways to cut those boards, the miter saw, a hacksaw and circular saw (with my hubbys help), but I highly recommend getting a jigsaw, they aren’t that expensive and I have one on my next Home Depot list of things to buy.
Once that was done I went up to the top of the cabinets on the sides of the room until I got to the top board. I stopped because I really wanted to use two full boards on the back wall above the cabinets. SOOO, I nailed those up first and did the top two boards on the sides….then I had to make that cut for the board at the top of the cabinets but I don’t think you can tell, it was only about 3/4 of an inch and I think it blends in pretty well. And I am really happy that I didn’t have to cut down two boards for the back wall…..just the one on the sides.
Please don’t judge my messy cabinets! 😂
I will be honest, this thing took me all weekend. Both days, all day but I stopped at 4 on Saturday because we had to go to dinner at my Mom’s house, then on Sunday I finished about 5:30 but I took a couple hours off to walk with my walking buddy (hey Kris!) and eat lunch. So I would guess a total of 12 hours all together. Now if you don’t have to put a saw together that time should be more like 10 or so hours. And if you are doing a room other than a laundry room or bathroom you can probably do it a lot faster. I had a lot to cut around and trying to climb over the washer all the time was a pain in they you know what!!!
Still To DO:
Money spent this week….$0. So I am still at my $54 and change that I spent on the shiplap and nails last week.
Still Need to do:
paint the shiplap
build a shelf
DIY a laundry Sign
put up a bucket to hold lint
new hinges and hardware for the cabinets.
Wow, I am tired from installing the shiplap, my to do list makes me want to go to bed! YIKES!!! Lot’s to do still! Hang in there with me while I finish up this crazy project!
Make sure you check out all the other bloggers participating in this challenge, they are all linked below!